Monday, October 23, 2006

Dye-fest!

This weekend, Cookie and Kristi came over for a good old-fashioned dye party. We used Wilton's Icing Dyes on a wide variety of fiber...

In this sink we have (top to bottom): Cookie's laceweight 95% merino/5% cashmere yarn, my mystery fiber (which we think is wool with tencel in it), and Kristi's merino.

In this sink we have: Kristi's superwash merino on the left, my soy silk on the top, and my mystery wool on the right.

Here is my mystery wool (started out gray) dyed, wrapped, and ready to microwave.



Here is my mystery fiber (wool with tencel?) that I dyed.




Here is my mystery fiber (wool with tencel?) that Kristi dyed for me. It turns out that 250g of fiber needs to be dyed in 2 batches... who knew? So, since I had 5 batches of fiber to dye, Kristi had 2, and Cookie had one, Kristi helped me out and dyed one of my mystery wool/tencel batches (while Cookie knit her sock).



Here's my soy silk.
(Rainbow!)



This is my 2 packets of mystery wool (started out gray).


Here is my mystery fiber (wool with tencel?) that I dyed, being rinsed in the sink.

Here is my mystery fiber (wool with tencel?) that Kristi dyed, being rinsed in the sink.




Here is my soy silk, very wet still...



Here's Cookie's yarn.





Here's my mystery wool, quite wet still...



Here's Kristi's merino, almost dry!


Here's my wool/tencel mystery fiber that I dyed.



Here's my wool/tencel mystery fiber that Kristi dyed.





Fiber snails!!!


Here's my soy silk, which dried MUCH slower than all the wool.


Cookie's yarn all done.


Kristi's merino all done. Check out her blog for more pictures...



 

Here's one batch of mystery wool (started out gray).
 
I'm going to spin the above batch of mystery wool and the mystery wool to the left, and then ply them together to make sock yarn.
 

This is my mystery wool/tencel batch that I dyed.
 
This is the mystery wool/tencel batch that Kristi dyed for me. I think I'm going to spin these separately into sock yarn.
 

Here at last, we have my soy silk...
 


I LOVE it!
 

It's so shiny and soft, I want to spin it right now!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margit,
The fiber look wonderful. The colors are so deep and rich. It amazes me how you can keep the colors from running into each other. The "cinnamon rolls" make some pretty artistic photos too.

10/23/2006 06:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh! I wish I could have been there! Everything looks great. The weather looks nice too - I'm envious...

10/23/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I love thos fiber snails. :)

Your soy silk looks gorgeous! I can't wait to see how it spins up. If it's not too hard to spin, I might have to join in on this spinning thing. :)

10/23/2006 09:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home