Monday, October 16, 2006

Sock Yarn Stash! 50g progress & Finished Baby Booties!

 Here is my tiny sock yarn stash. Top left is Cherry Tree Hill, clockwise from that is Socks That Rock in Blarney Stone, Knit Picks Palette in Black, STR in Puck's Mischeif, Knit Picks Memories in Gladuolus (I got 3 skeins for my mom's socks because the pattern called for it, but I'm totally not even going to come close to using 2 skeins), leftovers from my dad's socks and my first pair of socks (see Q&A below), and Knit Picks Dancing. In the middle is some Knit Picks wool I dyed with Kool-Aid.

 Some of this yarn will soon disappear, as the ball on the right will become the rest of my mom's second sock and the ball on the left will become my second RPM sock. However, I'm sure I'll have leftovers of both.
 Here is how much sock I got from one 50g ball of Knit Picks Sock Memories! See one 50g ball in the photo above and imagine how much left over I will have.


Now it's time for the Socktoberfest Q&A:

1) When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I started knitting my first sock in January 2005 and finished it about a week later. I taught myself from Cat Bordhi's book, Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles.

2) What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

The second sock took me quite a while longer...
You can see the pair here. The pics of the first sock were taken right after I finished it. There's a good story about how Randall proposed to me by tying my engagement ring to some yarn in the middle of that skein... I've worn them a number of times and they've gotten a bit fuzzy, particularly in the heel.

3) What would you have done differently?

Finished the second sock sooner!

4) What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

Socks that Rock and Knit Picks Sock Memories, so far.

5) Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I've only knit them on 2 circulars, and I like it that way.

6) Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I've only knit heel flaps.

7) How many pairs have you made?

Well, I'm done with 2 pairs of adult socks. I've also made 2 pairs of baby socks, some baby booties, one RPM for me, one RPM for my mom and a second one through part of the gusset, and a Pomotomous just about to the heel. If you're curious, just look though the sidebar on the right side of the webpage for socks and click on the links.

 

Speaking of the baby booties, I threaded the ties through and attached pom poms to the ends, stuffed them in an envelope with 2 stamps and I'm putting them in the mail today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The booties are so cute! Your sock yarn stash looks like it has plenty of room to grow. :-)

10/16/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The booties are really cute! Felting makes them look like little shoes. Lucky nephew!

10/16/2006 05:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home