Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fiber Stash!

 
Here is my whole fiber stash, to date. Most of this fiber I bought in the last week.

 Here is all my dyed fiber. From left to right we have 8 oz. of red superwash wool I got from the Yarn Place on Friday. It was very difficult for me to not buy any laceweight while I was there. Next up we have 4 oz. each of merino and then corriedale I got from Carolina Homespun at Stitches in February. It's laughable that I thought I would spin these on a CD drop-spindle. I'm hoping to make all of the above into sock yarn.

Lastly, on the right, we have 4 oz. of bamboo I got from Deep Color at Stitches and then dyed with RIT dye. I have no idea how difficult that's going to be to spin, how thick I want to spin it, or what I'm going to make with 4 oz. of bamboo...? Suggestions are welcome!

 Here we have all my undyed fiber. I think I'm going to dye some of this before spinning, and some after spinning. Since I have boilable plastic bobbins, Kristi suggested I could spin 2 or 3 plies, dye them, and then ply them together to make some pretty nifty yarn. So, I think I'm going to try that, probably on some of the merino, top left. That is one whole pound of merino I got with my spinning wheel at Carolina Homespun. Moving counter-clockwise, the entire bottom row of fiber I also got at Carolina Homespun. Bottom left is 250 grams of mystery fiber #1, which Kristi and I think is wool with tencel. It's from Louet in Great Britain. Bottom middle is mystery fiber #2, which I'm guessing is also 250 grams of some kind of wool. It's quite soft. On the bottom right we have 250 grams of Cashgora Top, also from Louet. This is apparently from a mixed-breed of Cashmere and Angora (mohair) goats. And I apparently got an amazing price at $10/lb! Too bad I had no clue and they didn't have more! It is very soft!

Moving on to the top right and middle, both of which I got from the Yarn Place on Friday, the top right is
8 oz. of 95% merino/5% cashmere, super soft, and the top middle is 8 oz. of soy silk, also very nice and soft.

I can't wait to spin and dye or dye and spin this fiber up!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woohoo, another hobby so you can stash EVEN MORE fiber!

10/15/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Go, Margit, go! :)

10/15/2006 02:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home